Connect with us

NEWS

Despite denial, Nigeria Army retires 29 generals after Yahaya’s appointment as COAS

Published

on

Twenty-nine army generals have been forced to retire from service following the appointment of Farouk Yahaya as the chief of army staff.

The forceful retirement of the generals contradicts the claim by the Defence Headquarters last week that none of its personnel had been retired following the appointment of Mr Yahaya, who belonged to Regular Course 37.

Mr Yahaya, a major general, from Sokoto State, was named the army chief by President Muhammadu Buhari on May 27.

He succeeded Ibrahim Attahiru, a lieutenant general, who died on May 21 in a plane crash alongside 10 other military personnel while on official assignment to Zaria, Kaduna State.

Shortly after the appointment of the new COAS, there were speculations that between 30 and 45 generals, who are his seniors, may be asked to go home.

Knowing General Farukh, New Chief Of Army Staff

The senior generals belong to Regular Courses 35 and 36.

Traditional move
It is a tradition in the military that when a junior is appointed as a service chief, senior officers, who are ahead of him or her, would proceed on retirement.

The understanding is that senior military officers are unlikely to take orders from their juniors.

Denial
The Defence Headquarters, however, dismissed the speculations of massive retirement, saying the retirement of senior officers from the military was always ‘voluntarily

It said the military high command had yet to authorise the retirement of any officer.

The Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Bernard Onyeuko, a brigadier general, who briefed journalists on the matter last week, said retirement of senior officers from the military was always voluntary.

“At this point, you are all aware of the appointment of the new Chief of Army Staff, Maj.-Gen. Farouk Yahaya,” Mr Onyeuko said.

“This has stirred up a lot of rumours in the media about mass retirements in the military.

Nigeria Army Arrests 13 Suspected Boko Haram Members in Kano

“I wish to use this medium to dispel such unfounded rumours as retirement is only on a voluntary basis for senior officers who desire to do so.

“At this point, no retirements have been authorised by the military high command.”

Generals retired
A memo sighted by PREMIUM TIMES indicates that a total of 29 Army major generals have been approved to proceed on terminal leave, paving way for their eventual retirement.

Their retirement comes less than two weeks after the appointment of Mr Yahaya as the COAS.

Orlu Attack: Report any Person With Gunshot Injuries to Nearest Security Agency – Army

According to the memo, the 29 generals, from regular course 36 have been approved to proceed on terminal leave.

Among the generals are J.B Olawumi, J.O. Akomolafe, C.O. Ude, G. Oyefesobi, M.O. Uzoh, C.C. Okonkwo and M.S.A. Aliyu.

Others are U.M. Mohammed, B.M. Ashafa, N.E. Angbazo, Y.P. Auta and S.A. Yaro. (See the full list below).

Their leave was approved with effect from June 1, 2021.

The memo was, however, silent on major generals from the regular course 35, who are also Mr Yahaya seniors.

 

Below is the full list of generals proceeding on retirement:

1. JB Olawumi

2. JO Akomolafe

3. CO Ude

4. G Oyefesobi

5. MO Uzoh

6. CC Okonkwo

7. MSA Aliyu

8. UM Mohammed

9. BM Shafa

10. NE Angbazo

11. YP Auta

12. SA Yaro

13. J Sarham

14. HE Ayamasoawei

15. OF Azinta

16. BA Akinroluyo

17. KAY Isiyaku

18. AT Hamman

19. AM Aliyu

20. HPZ Vintienagba

21. HR Momoh

22. JR Unuigbe

23. AA Jidda

24. OI Uzomere

25. MH Magaji

26. LA Adegboye

27. MA Masanawa

28. OA Akinyemi

29. AM Dauda

Premium Times

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

JUDICIARY

NBA condemns attack on Delta court by thugs

Published

on

By

The Nigerian Bar Association, NBA , Warri Branch has condemned the attack on the Delta State High Court 4 by thugs in Warri South Local Government Area.

The NBA in a statement signed by its Chairman, Emmanuel .O. Uti and Mr. Joseph A Omonoseh, Secretary respectively expressed shock and sadness over the unprovoked attack and invasion by the thugs.

Anti Daba Unit: NBA petitions Kano police commissioner over alleged torture to death of 21 year old boy

The NBA noted that the act led to the disruption of court proceedings in a suit challenging the succession to the stool of the Olu of Warri Kingdom which was ongoing peacefully.

The NBA said the hoodlums who were armed with dangerous weapons, chased away judicial staff, litigants, lawyers including a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN who was representing one of the parties and disrupted the proceedings.

The NBA condemned the act describing it as despicable and a desecration of the hallowed temple of Justice.

“The NBA Warri branch condemns in totality this unprovoked attack and barbaric behaviour by the hoodlums/thugs and therefore calls on the Inspector General of Police, the Commissioner of Police, Delta State and the Director of State Security Services to immediately set up a team of investigators to unmask the perpetrators of this reprehensible act.

“We also call on Security Operatives to immediately set in motion measures to nip in the bud this ugly trend by providing adequate security in and around the Court premises in Delta State to prevent a reoccurrence of this ugly trend.

 

“We advise the players in the ongoing succession tussle to sheath their swords and allow peace and the law to take its full course as we cannot afford to see our peaceful and loving Warri Kingdom engulfed by the flames of crisis.”

Continue Reading

NEWS

Police In Kaduna Warns Protesters Against Violating Due Process

Published

on

By

Kaduna State Commission of Police Umar Muri has warned all Interest Groups who want to protest in the state to consider following due process and avoid incessant high blockade, stressing that violators will be treated according to the extant statutory laws of the land.

Anti Daba Unit: NBA petitions Kano police commissioner over alleged torture to death of 21 year old boy

In a statement by the command’s public relations officer ASP Muhammad Jalige said the command acknowledged the flight of various communities affected by banditry and kidnapping

” The Command is using this medium to state that it is becoming very worrisome to the Command and other sister security agencies, the incessant blockade of the State’s connecting highways by various interest groups in the name of protest without vobserving due process,”NLC Sues For Security Agencies Intervention On El-Rufa’i’s Fresh Threat

” The Command is not unmindful of the security challenges faced by various communities in the State that is occasioned by risen cases of armed banditry and kidnapping which the top management and government are doing everything possible to restore normalcy to the affected areas. It is therefore necessary to be in the same page with all stakeholders and affected communities to ensure that the enemies of the State are defeated rather than working unilaterally by opposing one another, since particular challenges cannot be adequately tackled by creating additional challenge.” The statement stated,

Police Confirms Death of Armed Robber After Mob Action

The statement said the Command is however, perturbed with the recent activities of some communities engaging in protest and the untoward blocking of highways with its attendant troubles for innocent commuters. emphasizing that such trend will not be tolerated and the acts will be viewed seriously according to extant laws of the land.

It added that the Command is working round the clock to ensure that normalcy is restored and would not fold it hands to be distracted in as much as protest cannot be seen as the solution to the current situation.

” The Command is therefore advising all interest groups and communities to always go through appropriate channel with their grievances as the Command’s door is always open to complaints and other security related issues from all quarters whereas insecurity is localized and the best approach to tackling it is by Police community engagement.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Ensure Decorum, Civility in Your Engagement with Road Users, NUJ Urges Traffic Enforcement Agencies

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kano State Council has urged officials of Traffic police, KAROTA, Federal Road Safety Corp to ensure decorum and civility in their engagement with road users.

Channels TV Ban: NUJ Urges NBC To Exercise More Caution

This was contained in a Communique jointly signed by Council Chairman Comrade Abbas Ibrahim and Secretary Comrade Abba Murtala respectively and issued to journalists at the end of Council’s periodic congress held at the press center kano

Sallah Celebrations: NUJ Kano Felicitates With Muslims.

In the congress the union also called on security agencies to intensify efforts in bringing to an end the lingering problems of phone snatching and other criminality.

SWAN Kano Trains Journalists, Judicial and Health Workers On Cyber Crimes

The congress enjoined relevant state government agencies to take necessary action against individuals and organizations involved in hiking prices of food items, calling on related authorities to redouble efforts in the fight against the sales of expired, sub-standard and poisonous food/beverages in the state.

The congress advised farmers to focus their attention on food crops production as against that of cash crops production with a view to ensuring availability of food.

The NUJ appreciates the state government for redeploying professional teachers to public schools, calling on the government to pay more attention to schools in the rural areas.

The congress called on the Kano emirate council to intervene by stopping the unnecessary horse riding (KILISA) that constitute threat to the society.

The congress also appealed to members of pen pushing profession to always work within the boundaries of the profession for better service delivery.

In the communique the congress condoles with Maryam Yakasai over the death of her mother.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 by Justice Watch News. Design by Sharfadi Technology.

%d bloggers like this: